How to effectively measure MSL performance
How can you evaluate MSL activity to ensure effective outcomes? MSLs’ ability to harness KOL feedback provides unique insights to refine clinical, marketing and sales plans. Yet the diversity of the MSL role often means measuring their true effectiveness is challenging. What is the current “best practice” thinking and are you employing the latest measurement and evaluation techniques?
MSL Metrics: Measuring Success is essential reading for MSL managers and practitioners. The report is based on the insight and experience of 9 MSL professionals working in or with top 25 pharma companies in the US and Europe - see who they are. Packed with case studies and actionable information this study identifies effective ways to measure MSL contribution and value across the organisation.
Answering key questions
- KOL engagement: A key indication of MSL success is the number of KOLs relationships, but how do you measure the success of those interactions in terms of reach, influence and quality feedback.
- KOL feedback: How do KOLs view MSL relationships and how can you best gather feedback to assess performance?
- Internal stakeholder perception: Sharing information and demonstrating value with internal stakeholders is central to MSL activity, but what inputs and metrics are appropriate and how can you gather this information?
- Conferences & advisory panels: What is the best way to assess the outcomes of these activities?
- Management feedback: How frequently, and in what form, should MSL managers engage with their staff?
- Qualitative vs quantitative metrics: The balance is shifting towards qualitative outcome measurement – how do MSL experts see this panning out?
With this report you will be able to
- Learn how industry leaders are currently evaluating MSL activity.
- Understand the qualitative evaluation techniques that are gaining favour.
- Know why quality outstrips quantity when it comes to KOL engagement.
- Understand the essentials for effective MSL communication with internal stakeholders that builds trust.
- Grasp the importance of using KOL feedback in assessing the effectiveness of MSLs.
- Understand how training, remuneration and rewards can enhance MSL performance.
Key topics explored
- Quantitative measurement of MSL activity is common and easily employed – but can you assess quality by simply measuring activity?
- MSL activity can be extremely varied and no two companies will employ MSLs in exactly the same role – evaluation and measurement must be tailored to the company brand environment in which they are employed.
- What key MSL metrics aren’t you measuring?
- What type of training can elevate MSL success to new levels?
- What are the essential metrics of MSL assessment and how do they vary across brands and franchises?
- Michael Spyridon, Medical Science Liaison, Eisai EMEA, EU
- Dominic Lawrance PhD, Medical Science Liaison Manager, Alimera Sciences
- Medical Science Liaison, Top 10 Pharma Company, EU
- Senior Medical Science Liaison, Top 20 Pharma Company, US
- Alan R Rosenthal PharmD, Principal, HRC, Inc. – Medical Affairs Management, US
- Charles White, Medical Science Liaison Director of Medical Affairs, MedSci Solutions LLC, US
- Medical Science Liaison Consultant, US
- Medical Science Liaison, Top 25 Pharma Company, EU
- Joe Schwab, Medical Affairs Consultant, US
Need more information? Contact a consultant for an executive summary and sample pages from the report.